Thursday 8 October 2015

How to: Make a room a home


In this week's how to I'm going to be sharing the ways that I made my new uni room homely and somewhere that I want to spend time. Whenever you walk into an empty room it can sometimes feel a bit daunting to fill it with all of your things. Unpacking my stuff this year didn't take as long as I thought it would, around 3 hours to put everything in its place. There are many ways to make a place feel homely but these are just a few of the things that I find works well.

1. Actual things from home // If you go to a new place and buy all new things it will never feel like home in my opinion. By actually having your possessions then you'll be more settled. For example, I have so much stuff from home, like books, DVDs and ornaments that I know that that room is mine and it feels like home as apposed to just a room.

2. Soft things // Cushions, blankets, cuddly toys, anything that you can cuddle up to is a must for me. Things that make a room cosy make it seem homely and a space that you want to spend time in, instead of the prison cell that people associate with uni rooms. As you can see from the pictures below, I can't get enough of anything soft and fluffy and without the fur my room simply wouldn't feel the same.

3. Photos // This is something where I really should practise what they preach. Most people will say that photos of friends and family are a uni room essential and I have to agree. Walls plastered with happy memories can turn your mood around if you ever feel homesick or stress and they also make blank, bare walls come alive!I have a cork board with a few pictures on but also tickets, receipts, cards and other memories so when I look at them I feel happy!

Now enjoy a few pictures as a mini room tour!







Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home