Wednesday 3 May 2017

I built my own NYX palette! First impressions



I was so excited when I walked into Boots in Leeds and they had the empty palettes for the NYX single eyeshadows. Every time I've been in they've always been out of stock so I thought I would jump at the chance and make my own quad to test out the eyeshadows! I've heard good things about the NYX eyeshadow palettes before, their Ultimate Shadow Palette's in particular, but I've not heard much about these. Colourwise I wanted to get shades I would use but also maybe ones that I don't really have already. I decided to go for the full proof quad formula, highlight, crease, jazzy colour and outer edge.

At the Boots I was in there was a massive selection of shades but I found it quite hard to find a shade that I would be able to use as a base colour, on my brow bone and in my inner corner. They were either a bit too dark or bright white. I finally settled on Innocent, a shimmery cream that's on the warm side. Swatching this I found it really pigmented and soft but not totally buttery. Using a Mac 217 I applied it all over my lid and up to my brow bone. There was no fall out and it gave a lovely sheen to my lid. It's an eyeshadow I'll be using as a base but also on its own on top of my Charlotte Tilbury Eyes to Mesmerise in Jean.

I wanted to get a crease colour that would work for everyday and that I could build up for something more smokey. I also wanted something matte which I found quite difficult to find when there weren't any testers but I settled on Suede. It's a really nice light matte brown that gives a natural shadow in the crease. It took me quite a while to build up but it wasn't really an issue and when I gave it a good test it lasted all day. It will be such a useful shade to have and I'll use it with a smokey eye, something more natural and in the crease with guilt trip on the outer edge with winged liner.

I knew that I wanted a 'jazzy' colour to make my palette a bit more lively, and that's where Showgirl comes in. In the pan it looks like a shimmery red, it also looks like that when it's swatched, but on the lid it actually comes up more orange. Nevertheless it's a gorgeous colour! Swatched on the hand it is very pigmented, but on the lid it takes a bit of building to get an intense colour. But it looks gorgeous on the eye and the colour didn't fade throughout the day so it's a winner in my book!

Guilt Trip is my final shade and another versatile one. I wanted a dark shade to use on my outer corners and to define my lash line. It's an ashy brown that would work really well in the crease of a darker smokey eye. There's no fall out with this colour and it doesn't smudge throughout the day, which I sometimes find with other 'darker' shades.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. I've always wanted to be able to customise my own palette but was a bit weary to spend a small fortune to start off with. This cost me £14, £4 for the palette and £2.50 for each of the eyeshadows. The palette itself is cardboard so I don't know how long it will last but the eyeshadows are held into place by a magnet and when the lid is closed they feel secure and not like they're going to fly out and smash everywhere. I would totally recommend these eyeshadows, especially if you want your own customised palette but don't want to pay top dollar.

I'd love to try more eyeshadows from NYX so if you have any recommendations please let me know!

L-R: Innocent, Suede, Showgirl, Guilt Trip


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home