Monday 17 November 2014

John Lewis Tears


We're back at this time of year again where the buzz of Christmas is in the air and everything in the shops are either red, silver or gold. Hooray! But there is also one thing that happens at this time of the year that I don't look forward to...the John Lewis advert. It's not that I don't like them, once I get into it I could be one of the people to watch it at least once a day, it's just the initial watch. I don't think that I'm that much of an emotional person except when it comes to animals or anything remotely cute looking. It's a huge weakness and you can probably tell where I'm going with this.

The first time that I remember thinking 'so this is the famous John Lewis advert' was the year before last when it was the one with the snowmen. So cute but I never properly saw the whole version, I only ever saw the cut down version that they show between programmes on the telly. However when I did watch it I thought that it was a bit sad for a Christmas advert and the snow drama was just a bit much, but no tears were shed.

It was 2013 that got to me. I was sat in the kitchen with my flatmates doing work (I don't know why we were doing work so intensely on a Saturday in November but just roll with it) and one of my other flatmates and her mum came in. I don't know how it came up but we started talking about the new John Lewis advert and we decided to watch it there and then on my laptop because none of us had seen it. From the get go I thought 'oh no, it's all too much'. The sad slow music and the animated woodland creatures were a recipe for disaster. As we got further into the advert when, SPOILER ALERT, the bear leaves the party to go and hibernate and his rabbit friend looked sad I could feel the tears building up in my eyes. As soon as that bear came over the hill and it showed the joy in the rabbits face I couldn't take it anymore. I wept. Not just a few tears, it was a full on sob. In front of everyone, including an actual adult. Even now though, running the advert in my mind gets me a little bit emotional.

This year wasn't as bad but I didn't make the fatal mistake of watching it with company. As I sat on my bed watching trying not to cry I was actually enjoying the penguins antics. Cute! It was when I reached the end that I cracked. The cuteness of penguin love mixed with imaginary toy penguin reality was too much. I was gone.

If you haven't watched this years advert yet I would definitely recommend it and if you have a bit of an emotional breakdown don't worry, I won't judge.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home